expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

4.06.2014

Soleil Dress


I think I just found my summer go-to dress for my girls! The Soleil Dress by Selvage Designs is an awesome summer dress pattern made out of knit fabric with 2 back options (open back or closed back). You will learn how to correctly attach binding to knit fabric, plus the pockets are such a good size that your daughter will love carrying all of her treasures around. You will love it too. I could totally see this dress being worn with leggings and a sweater in cooler weather.

I made Alivia's dress with some leftover knit that has been curing in my stash for a couple of years. (Yikes! Did I just admit that?) I love this stripe with the coordinating floral fabric for the pockets. The bindings are made from polka dot knit fabric with lycra in it. The lycra helps the neckline and arm bindings hold their shapes very well.

Lexi's dress is made from a solid gray knit. For the bindings I used FOE (fold-over elastic). I found this elastic on the clearance isle at JoAnn's for $0.50! It was such a bargain and now I'm kicking myself because I only bought 1 package of each color. I should have purchased everything they had. The FOE was so easy to work with. Next time I will trim a bit off the neckline before using FOE as a binding. I didn't take into account that when you use FOE, you need to trim off your seam allowances. Lesson learned. It still fits great though!

 I chose to make the closed back dress. Honestly after I had traced the pattern pieces I was a little bit afraid that the dresses would be too small, but they are a perfect fit. I love the little details and well-thought out construction. There are several helpful tips which make the finished version look extremely professional.
Go ahead, you know you want to give it a try! You really can't go wrong with this pattern...expert instructions, clear step-by-step photos, and professional results. And if you've never sewn with knits before, this is an excellent pattern for you to start with! To make it even better, you can save $2 on the pattern using the code: soleilrelease2 (code is valid until April 11). Happy sewing!


Follow my blog on Bloglovin'

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!